Australia is teeming with great family holiday destinations. so many in fact. that it would be nearly impossible to see every single one before the kids grow up With so many opportunities at your fingertips. there’s bound to be a destination for every type of family. So whether your family wants to spend days getting sandy and splashing in the sea, or if you and the kids want to head inland to camp and hike around national parks, there’s something for you.
5 Family Holiday Destinations in Australia
- Gold Coast, Queensland
- Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Sydney, New South Wales
- Melbourne, Victoria
- Kakadu National Park, NT
- Perth, Western Australia
- Taronga Zoo – Amazing Wildlife
Gold Coast, Queensland:
Queensland’s Gold Coast is sometimes referred to as the family beach holiday capital of Australia – and for good reason! You’ll find a beguiling mix of things to do with the kids, from dining and culture to adventure and nature experiences. All of that alongside 57 kilometers (35 miles) of white, sandy beaches.
- Best for: Thrills, spills, and general adventure
- Where to stay: Sea World Resort in Main Beach, Q1 Resort and Spa in Surfers Paradise, or BIG4 Gold Coast Holiday Park in Helensvale.
- What to do: Whale watching cruise, the SkyPoint Observation Deck, and high ropes course in the Gold Coast Hinterland.
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory:
Go hot air ballooning, cycle one of many beautiful bike trails. and spend the day doing any number of activities on Lake Burley Griffin. Canberra is also a fantastic base from which to take one of several great day trips. It’s the ultimate getaway for those wanting a taste of Australia made easy for families – all in one compact place. With its world-class museums and galleries (many of which have experienced just for kids) and an inclusive, buzzy dining scene, Australia’s capital city of Canberra is an ideal getaway for culture-lovers of all ages.
- Best for Educational escapes
- Where to stay: Pinnacle Apartments, Novotel Canberra, or Mercure Canberra
- What to do: Hot air balloon ride over the city and visit the city’s many museums and galleries.
Sydney, New South Wales Visit with Family:
Head to the big city over the school holidays and visit Australia’s most popular icons. There are always child-friendly activities in Sydney throughout the school holiday periods, be it the Easter Show or Cool Yule during winter.
- Best for City escapes
2. Swissotel Sydney, Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Central, or Finder Hotels
3. What to do: Day trip to the Blue Mountains, Taronga Zoo with Sky Safari cable car and visit museums and galleries like the Powerhouse Museum and the Art Gallery of New South Wales.
Kakadu National Park :
Kakadu National Park is a World Heritage Site, and is Australia’s largest national park. The second-largest in the world. Kakadu is one of the world’s greatest places for witnessing wilderness and is one of the topmost visited Australian tourist places.
- Best for: Landlubbers, outback encounters
- Where to stay: Kakadu Lodge or Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel, both in Jabiru
- What to do: yellow water boat cruise and explore the park’s waterfalls like Jim Jim, which has a 2-km return walk and a family-friendly pool (seasonal).
Taronga Zoo – Amazing Wildlife:
Get ready to experience up close and personal encounters with amazing Aussie wildlife. as well as with other animals from all over the world. Located at a point right along the northern part of the harbor. The zoo is actually housed in a prime real estate area. which are the very luxurious suburbs of Mosman. The zoo hosts lots of amazing events. which includes the Roar and Snore which is an overnight stay and also includes a summer concert.
- See the amazing Sydney skyline; experience the Lemur Walk-Through, Seal Show, and Koala Encounter; go for the Sky Safari gondola.
- How to reach. Take the 12-minute Taronga Zoo ferry from wharf no. 2 at Circular Quay and alight at Taronga Zoo Wharf. The nearby Sky Safari cable car transports you to the zoo.